Books are a foolproof present for moms and mother figures. They don’t go out of style, don’t need to be fitted, and don’t have an expiration date. Plus, you can give your loved ones a few insights and a few days of literary pleasure. So this mother’s day, give your moms a new book for her shelf. Here are a few celebrity recommendations that your mom could also enjoy!
1. Oprah Winfrey once picked this for a book club selection and Barrack Obama once shared it on a Facebook post. An American Marriage by Tayari Jones focuses on a married couple separated by the husband’s incarceration and what happens when he comes home.
2. Reese Witherspoon loves this book. She’s picked it for book club and produced a movie out of it! Where the Crawdad’s Sing by Delia Owens is one of the features in the Metro Films. It’s about a girl who grew up alone in the marshes of North Carolina and is ready to connect to the outside world.
3. Natalie Portman is all about discovering what it means to be a woman in society. She recommends Breasts and Eggs by Mieko Kawakami. It’s set in Japan and features three women—a mother, a daughter, and an unnamed narrator—and follows their struggle with identity and bodily autonomy in Japan.
4. Halle Berry fell in love with this Pulitzer prizewinner. The Overstory by Richard Powers is a unique read. It is rooted on the beauty of nature by following the story of five trees and how they change the lives of nine Americans.
5. The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammed and Matem Aly gets the recommendation of graceful ballet dancer Misty Copeland. She chose this as one of her favorite books, saying that the children’s book deftly shows that difference doesn’t have to be scary.
Those are five different books that your mom might be interested to give a read. Which one are you going to scour the bookstores for today?See All